Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Exposing our Brick Wall





Let the transformation begin!!

I been collecting pinterest pictures of black and white kitchens ...  I wanted to move away from my fru fru kitchen to one that is a bit of an industrial/farm house mix.

For Christmas, I told my husband that all I wanted was an exposed brick wall in my kitchen.  My house is 120 years old, and all the walls are brick covered with plaster.  This wall also had added sheet rock, tile and modern bead board ...

He spent New Years day striping it for me.  The best Christmas gift ever!!  I love it.



We also spent our 40th wedding anniversary, January 2nd,  stripping off the striped pink wall paper (and assorted older wall papers), before painting the walls a butter cream color.

Then we hung the cubby cupboard I had painted, and for which I had been collecting 'letter mugs'. (Anthropologie and Papyrus are great sources.)  I still have a gift certificate to Antrhopologie to get more mugs ...





The kitchen has four doors in it, amazing, eh?  All but one have transom windows that I used to put sign up!

Its come a long way, but it till has a long way to go ... we will be painting the cabinets white, figuring out something fun for above the cabinets, and tiling the counter top and splash with a small black and white tile pattern.  

Be sure to check back, and I will share our continuing project here.  Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh!! I love the exposed brick work. Your before and after pictures are interesting - it shows a real change in taste and style which is great! Your hubby did a great job stripping the wall back and I hope it continues to give you pleasure in the days ahead. J9 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, but there have been modification paring down the decor in between, this was just the only before pic I could find. LOL.

      Delete
  2. I love a brick wall! Your kitchen looks amazing! When we finished our basement we put a brick wall at the bottom of the stairs and built in a stained glass window with a mirror behind it...the effect is kind of like having a pub or something downstairs...but it's just my sewing/craft room! There is a matching mirrored niche with glass shelves for knick Knacks near my sewing desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds charming? Do you have pics in a blog post? If you tell me the name of the post I can check it out!

    ReplyDelete