Friday, June 24, 2016

Jane Austen Tea Party

So lately I've been kind of Lost in Austen. Actually my daughter gave me that movie and the Austen Book Club for my birthday when we visited her 3 weeks ago, which, of course, Mr P and I promptly watched 

Add to that the fact that I've been reading Jane Austen's Town and Country a sort of bio and a biography of Chalotte Bronte.   That has lead to lots of summer movie nights with BBC ... Including Nicholas Nickleby (Charles Dickens)  several  Anthony Trollope adaptations and an Austen or two while also reading both Persuasion (Austen) and The Tenant of Wildfelll Hall (Anne Bronte)  

So yes, I've been living in 19th century England all month ... 
The big coincidence is that I had forgotten I'd offered to host and have a tea party for my book club ladies if they agree to reading an Austen novel. 
My friend Ann reminded me Sunday ... Just in time to read 3/4s of the novel before we met to discuss it last night 
I'd been collecting chintz ware for about a year, planning a summer tea to enjoy it. I love mixed matched chintz ... The combo reminds me of a fun 30's flour sack quilt. 
Of course there were ribbon sandwiches and chicken salad in homemade puff pastry. 
Some of the puff pastry became cream puffs and what's more English than double ginger snaps? 
Of course if your going to do true Britush immersion  you need marmelaide, clotted cream and lemon curd! 
The table is well set ... May I say, a charming "prospect"? 
And all we need are apt readers. What a great group and such a lively discussion of Anne Elliot and her exploits at Bath!! 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Pollyanna - that looks so fun, what an absolutely delicious looking tea, and a really good idea overall. My hubby and I just watched Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley version) for the third time recently, I love looking at all the domestic detail in addition to the timeless story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pollyanna - that looks so fun, what an absolutely delicious looking tea, and a really good idea overall. My hubby and I just watched Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley version) for the third time recently, I love looking at all the domestic detail in addition to the timeless story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex, sometimes I think I get too sucked into the period but for me it's so calming, I love the Keira Knightly version.

      Delete
  3. Persuasion is my favorite of the books and I love watching the movie version over and over. Someday I must ask you how you make ribbon sandwiches. Yours are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I do love ribbon sandwiches and they're not even period. Haha. Persuasion is considered by scholars to be her best book. Good taste.

      Delete