Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Burlap and Lace Lamp Shade

 I am so excited about the new crown prince, aren't you?  Well, perhaps you are not the Anglophile that I am,  but a new baby is always a reason to celebrate... even if you live in Utah and your most recent British ancestors left England in 1848 ... but then again, they were from Cambridge, and well Prince William and Kate are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ...

 So to celebrate the occasion I pulled together a few vintage Brit items for a display in my parlor.  The bust is of a young Queen Elizabeth, mother of the current queen, by name, the Queen Mother.

 Looking for a royal slant, I decided to make up the burlap and muslin lamp shade I have been planning in my head for a couple of months now.  By using the Citrasolve method, I printed a Graphics Fairy crown on an old flour sack.
Then I wrapped and tied the muslin flour sack strips, old lace and burlap strips around an old lamp shade I had on hand.  I added the 'royal crest' pin to the center of some gathered lace and burlap, then placed it on some antique blue velvet ribbon, in honor of his little unnamed highness.

 
Now I have a corner of the parlor to help me remember my British heritage, and a royal family who managed to change and negotiate in a changing empire that left them 'ruling' a democratic society.
 Kudos!

1 comment:

  1. Love everything Paula...and you KNOW that I love everything British!!!

    ReplyDelete