Friday, July 19, 2013

DIY Making Fake Enamelware


 About a month ago I was working at the antique mall and saw an adorable reproduction French enameled bathing pitcher ... it had a checker board band around it and I was smitten ....



That started my mind peculating, and I thought it would be great to use black and white enamel ware on the tops of my cupboards when I redo my kitchen in black and white ... a project that is still in the planning process.  I know, as an antique dealer, that old enamelware can be pricey, especially the pitchers, tea pots and coffee pots that I thought would look best.

I then found the small enameled pitcher above and it was  a steal, so I bought the tall bathing pitcher (not a steal) and the small jug and looked for an in between piece ... that's when I saw the aluminum coffee pot above ... and thought "Perfect size, love the shape, very cheap ... ah if only it were enamelware ...
 
Now for a little history, enamelware was made by dipping tin pots and pans into heavy enamel (oil base) paint.  Then after drying, it was baked. 
 
Spray paint is also oil based enamel ... though I did find that even with a clear coat on top of the white it was not shiny enough to look like enamelware.  That's when I remembered my secret weapon ... 'Hi Shine' ... it worked like a charm. I then used a foam paint brush and painted the trim on the rolled edges that are usually painted on enamelware.

 Sadly the cute aluminum tea pot I found at a garage sale .... for a dollar, with the same intent, had a painting accident ... and will have to be stripped and redone ... a project for after flea.o.logy.
 
So here is the completed grouping.  See how the coffee pot is the perfect size?  I love it and am now on the hunt for old aluminum forms, which are ALWAYS MUCH CHEAPER, but have the same utilitarian shapes as the slightly earlier enamelware.
 
And did you notice that I christened it a chocolate pot? (Ala Graphics Fairy) I want black pops, but don't want to be too matchy matchy to the checkerboard pattern ...


Oh and then, while still in the enameling mood, I looked around and spotted these abused, but not very old, tin buckets with paper patterns glued on.  (I bought a stack of 12 of them for $4 at a yard sale of course)  After some soaking and scrubbing, I gave the one above the same treatment.  I found the label form on Graphics Fairy too ... then moved it to my Paint program and 'typed' in a flower name ... it reminds me so much of the gummed labels my mom used to type on and label EVERYTHING with ... that it makes me smile!

Thanks for coming along ... if you love enamelware, maybe you will be making some fakes yourself?  What do you think?


13 comments:

  1. Very clever! And your transfer design is flawless, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie, so nice of you to say so. The design transfer was tricky, but using small enough sharpies did the trick!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Sis, it was a fun project ... can't wait to do more. Now I just need to make my kitchen happen!

      Delete
  3. This is just too clever!! Great looking and love the graphic!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, not sure hope this idea evolved, really, just glad it did! And yes, Graphics Fairy almost always has what I am looking for!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh! I just have to do this. Years ago I gave away a bunch of white enamelware with red trim. I miss it so much! It's very difficult to find at yard sales, and expensive in antique shops, so I really want to do this! Thank you sooooooooo much for sharing this post. And, thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I LUV your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can recreate your collection, um, cheap-lee right!! Have fun.

      Delete
  5. Oh wow - this is a GREAT idea!! I'm gonna get to the charity shops and watch out for that stuff!! Spray paints at the ready. Just found your blog through the link up party and am your newest follower!! Pop over to my bit of cyber space if you get a mo!! J9 x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, I am now your newest follower!!

      Delete
  6. Super cute! They do look like real enamelware. Never heard of 'hi shine'. It certainly did the trick. Great graphics too! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re the history of Enamelware, enamel is a ground glass coating on metal that is fired (baked) in a 1500 degree oven to form a smooth glass surface. I think the old oil based paints were called enamel just because they mimicked the shiny glass surface of enamelware. A painted surface on a coffee pot or pan would burn if placed on a stove top or in an oven, but glass on metal can take a higher heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for the heads up, I was told enameling was the same process used for painting cars, who knew? Clearly not me. Fortunately our faux enameling here is just for looks, right?!

      Delete