Monday, August 6, 2012

Back to School Wreath

This is my 'new' wreath for my front door.  I live in a historic house, that looks something like an institution.  It has been mistaken for both a church and a school, so I thought it would be perfectly in keeping with the mood of the house to do an antique Back to School autumn wreath.




As an antique dealer, I always have lots of old goodies stashed away.  The antique school slate above was purchased for a song, because it has a crack across the slate.  The sweet little speeches book is part of a set, and I chose this one because of the title.  Isn't the leather strap fun?  It was a last minute inspiration that hit after the book was attached, the strap is actually part of an old roller skate.




I found the cute old school picture here on Graphics Fairy, and cut it down to a manageable size.

I used the antique red velvet ribbon to hold the wreath, because the red repeated the other reds in the wreath, but also because I could imagine it being tied in a little girls hair on the first day of school.


And here it is as it appears on my front door!!  Hope it will help everyone get in the mood for school!

9 comments:

  1. Came over from Graphics Fairy. Delightful home - I thought it looked like a bank. As a retired teacher and an antiques dealer, I appreciate your eye for details. Love the book strap and the class portrait!

    Distressed Donna Down home

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute idea! We have 1 month to go before school starts. I'm both sad and happy. ;)

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I wait for summer all year long, then its here and gone ... I know just how you feel!

      Delete
  3. What a fun late summer project! I just made my late summer wreath with sunflowers, apples and a fruit crate label from the orchard where my grandparents worked before buying their own. I love this time of year and I love your wreath! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went and looked at your charming blog hoping to see your wreath, hope you will post it soon!

      Delete
  4. CAME OVER FROM GRAPHIC FAIRY, ENJOYED THE WREATH. I LIKED YOUR LITTLE BLACK HAT, IT WAS TRES CHIC AND VERY ARTSY! I AM SO GETTING ONE!
    THANKS! NANCY

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Can't believe school is right around the corner. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Paula, I always LOVE your descriptions of your projects! You describe everything so charmingly...is that a word? xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your school wreath. I would have loved to display this at the door of my classroom, but I am now retired. Makes me sad and joyful at the same time. Seems like school was just out for the summer.

    ReplyDelete