Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Painting Old Pine While Keeping the 'Old' Patina!

Tutorial Tuesday
Today I am going to share a trick I learned by accident.  I have painted many an antique item, for all kinds of reasons. If you know me well you know I often paint to unite a couple of pieces in marriage, for though their lines may match making them suitable to be together forever, their finishes rare do.


This old pine nail box was never painted, but I love its dings and imperfections.  One might hesitate to paint old wood for fear of getting a new look, however ...

I have learned that old, unpainted pine is very dry, so that if you use spray paint it will absorb a LOT of the paint.  Look at the ends of the wood to the right.  The ends are the worst at sucking up paint.  You would not believe how much spray paint that bit of wood sucked in.

But look at the dinged, scratched appearance of the wood after painting it with three and four coats.  I usually just keep spraying until it has the amount of paint I want.

In the picture about you can compare my 'new' paint to some old white paint that has aged forever on the small chest made from old fruit boxes below it.  Note that the ends of the wood here have virtually no paint either.


Now for the reason I wanted the white paint.  I wanted to add a cool vintage graphic that I grabbed off of Graphics Fairy.  I thought the bee in the wreath was perfect for a box to be used as either a garden caddy or a planter filled with clay pots.

 I have had several requests to show you my reverse Modpodge method, with all its imperfections.  Here you see the closely trimmed graphics painted on the face with Modpodge. Painting it on a plate allows you to paint off the edges getting complete coverage.
Next they are turned over onto the surface and pressed firmly in place.  I allow mine  to dry for one to three hours, though other have told me they don't allow much if any drying time.


Next I moisten my finger and start to rub away the paper.  As I have said before its an imperfect process, and if you look at the finished product and compare it to the closely trimmed graphic above, you will see how much I lost.  I sometimes, if I loose too much, will reapply just a portion of the graphic to fill in.


And here it is.  Doesn't it look like its been painted and has had this graphic on it for a few million years?  I love the aged chippiness.  Its sort of funny because it actually is an old box, now it looks like a sweet and charming old heirloom.



I was pretty happy with how it turned out.  Here it is showing off its stuff on my front porch! I can imagine that it would be even more charming with four potted plants in it for display.  It is just one more item that I have prepared for my flea.o.logy sale May 5th. Come if you can!

25 comments:

  1. I wish I could come...but maybe the one in July? You really have a knack for repurposing old furniture! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's why we have three sales, so everyone can make at least one. Hope to see you in July!

      Delete
  2. Does this have to be a laser copy or can we use inkjet? Great project. Thanks for sharing it. I have seen other transfer tutorials, but yours seems the easiest. I'm off to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope just an ink jet, but keep in mind that someof the paper stays on your product as you roll off enough to show the letters, so if the paper matches the paint color it helps.

      Delete
  3. It was fun running into you today...I want to follow you on Pinterest...but I don't know your last name. I'll bet you have some awesome boards. I have a "follow" button on my blog if you want. I need to go lay down...I have too many ideas spinning around in my head. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny, I know all about ideas spinning, I love the energy. My last name is Perkins. Thanks

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I love the graphics you used. I'm going to have to try this again - I didn't have much luck the last two times. I'm thinking I need to allow more dry time. Someone told me overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I think the real trick is to rub carefully. I have learned to start in the middle and work towards the edges. Also, accept that it won't be perfect and learn to appreciate that. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Your tote turned out so cute. Wish I could come to your sale.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling there are so many great sales I read about in Blogland and have had the same wish .... Thanks

      Delete
  6. I LOVE that method for transferring...the caddy is darling!
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out perfect! I love the bee!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well aren't you just the "Queen Bee"....get it? LOL! Great project as always my lovely friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have never thought to spray paint to get that look.
    thanks for the tips.
    It looks great!!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing how you did that. It looks fantastic! Does it work with color too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I once oversprayed an antique pine child's chair that had too much paint loss, but the remaining paint was red. I used red spray paint and you could not tell the old paint from the added spray paint.

      Delete
  11. Love the look! The blue chairs are fabulous too! Thanks for the lesson:0

    I am a recent follower. Please make me look good and follow me:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your bob and beautiful table:) sweet:) They fit very well

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous transformation! I just love the way you added the graphics. ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those graphics you used - I've seen them before, and they always look so effective.
    Thanks for the tip about the spray paint !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your little tote looks great! I've been trying this transfer method without much success, but I'm not giving up! I'm thinking maybe I let it dry too long? Thanks for the encouragement to try again!I'm now a follower

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the tote. Thanks for the tute on the graphic application. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tutorial...yours looks great.
    Have a beautiful weekend.
    Best Wishes,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete