Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday - Match Making

Today is Tutorial Tuesday and we are going to talk about Arranged Marriages.  Let me just confess, right from the start.  I am a match maker.  I love putting together pieces of vintage and antique furniture to make fresher, prettier or more functional pieces.  Today you will witness the marriage of a set of cubbies and a small cabinet with screened doors.   I found the small cabinet at Treasures, the antique store where I work. 

It was in the mall over a year before I talked the dealer down to a price that I could work with.   I found the cubby set at a flea.o.logy sale last summer.  It was painted turquoise blue and had no back on it.  As you can see I tried a couple of methods for painting it, before settling on the tedious choice of hand painting it with a brush. The two were attached by making the back piece of plywood slightly longer than the cubbies and attaching it not only to the cubby but to the small cupboard as well.  (We used screws)  After I finished painting the entire married piece with a slightly cream colored paint, that looks like an aged white, I set to work putting on a transfer by my preferred method of reverse modpodge application.   This includes printing off the graphic in a reverse mode, and trimming it closely.  Then painting the front with Modpodge.  The graphic is then placed face down into the position you want for your furniture item.  Press it firmly into place with your fingertips, until it has no bubbles and is fully adhered.  Allow it to dry for 3 or so hours then, with slightly dampened finger tips, rub away the extra paper.  Its messy and imperfect, as you will rub off some bits of the graphic inadvertently, yet it suits vintage and antique items, as one wouldn't expect perfectly intact graphics on an antique.


Next I got out my rubber number stamps and numbered each box.  I think it makes the cubbies look like the key holders they had in old hotels.  This is kind of fun, because the graphic I found at Graphics Fairy is for a French Lock making company.  I like how the key element and the lock graphic dovetail.


Here it is with a few of my orphan figural salt and pepper shakers, just for fun.  I am pretty happy with how it turned out.  It is fuctional and whimsical at the same time.   
Thanks for coming along and witnessing the marriage of these two great old pieces. 

24 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! I love seeing the before and after. You are so VERY talented, my friend. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! Love! Love it! Your blog inspires my to do so much! Im so thankful for Flea.o.logy for leading me here! I cant wait till I meet you in person in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love! Love! Love it! Your blog inspires my to do so much! Im so thankful for Flea.o.logy for leading me here! I cant wait till I meet you in person in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Creative genius!

    I love how inspirational this post is. What a pleasure to see it! Thanks. It's really a unique and adorable "piece" now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so good at arranged marriages! It is such a gift. This turned out so awesome. Great job! Can't wait to see it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I visited Treasures to get a peek at some of your creations...they are as wonderful in person. Next time I will come with more money to spend. =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's fabulous!! Love the canisters too. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy I stopped in...this is wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all, this was one of those projects that I had collected items for and had decided what to do 9 months ago, but without this blog to 'show and tell' it may not have happened. Thanks so much for your support!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is super cute! How perfect for small collectibles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! What a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love lOve loVe lovE! I am in awe! Bythewayjenngray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely fabulous makeover here. I loooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness this turned out sooooooooooooo adorable.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks amazing! I just love how you put things together. Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I love how you took the two pieces and put them together. I never would have guessed had to not told on yourself. I love the color that you used, so cheerful and the graphics are adorable. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a sweet cubby/cabinet. The graphics are a perfect match and the color is so soft and pretty. I love this so much I'm pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the numbered cubbies! Saw your post on The Graphics Fairy and had to come for a closer look! Glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This cabinet turned out so cool. love all the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just bought one of these pigeon hole cabinets this weekend at an estate sale. Love what you did with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cabinet is just so cute!! Great Work! We loved having you link up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  22. It turned out really great..I have another method for printing on wood.You can see it on my blog! Dear greatings Elly

    ReplyDelete