Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thrifty Thursday or The $12 Bathroom Makeover!

Thrifty Thursday is about 'using what you have' decorating today. The first five pictures of my bathroom where taken before the 'makeover'.

I love this little cupboard made from a clock, what I don't love is the clutter it promotes.

I also adore this mirror that I rescued and added a new crown to, to replace the missing one. What I don't love is the clutter of the mixed grouping around it.


Other than needing to remove the collection of Staffordshire flowers from the top and shelf below the medicine cabinet, it passed muster.

I always like the repurposed train rack as a towel rack, but again it needed to be placed so high on the wall to keep from wonking you in the head, that it left room that begged for a grouping below it and that is too much for my more spartan current tastes.

The rose bath rug was great when I had all those sculptured flowers, but with them gone ... I just needed something simpler.
... and now for the renewed bathroom. I love the blue and white and black color scheme as much as ever, so no need for change there.

The medicine cabinet is now simplified with only one small basket of flowers on top. The sweet clock cupboard is removed, with just the shelf it sat on now holding a white candelabra that I already had.


The grouping around the long mirror is simplified and more Staffordshire Flowers take a trip out of the room to make room for ...

my funny steam punk birds. They are in the right color family and add a bit of whimsy to the already cheerful bathroom.


The simple bath rug is the only new item in the makeover and it cost, you guessed it. $12.00


I saved the best for last. Instead of the wire train rack with the towels stacked on it, and a grouping of French pictures below, this sweet white shelf, which was made from the top of an old organ, now graces the same space. It is much simpler and very relaxing.

Thanks for coming along on our budget makeover tour, I hope you enjoyed it!!

11 comments:

  1. Editing is always a good thing. It really freshened up that bathroom. I'm thinking I might need to do the same thing. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Paula! I've always loved your upstairs bathroom, but the new look is lovely too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great mini makeover (under). All of your pieces are so unique. I especially love the towel holder. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the entire look. Especially the towel holder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, love the color scheme and the new touches. Thanks for sharing! ~Lorraine ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wall color--love the "used to be a clock" shelf--everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Very impressive. I love your "improvements". I'm your newest follower and I can't wait to see what you will post next.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so kind of you, I hope you enjoy the blog!!

      Delete
  8. You have such wonderful little pieces of furniture to use!! Love the train rack and those cute pieces used for shelves. Your bathroom is adorable-

    ReplyDelete