Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thrifty Thursday Royal Upcycled Chest.

Today I am going to show you how the prince rescued the shabby little chest and made her into a true royal. (OK, I admit he had some help.)




When I bought this chest at the local second hand store  she was not only homely she was broken as well. Fortunately I noticed her great bones right away.
She was white and had those poorly done hand painted flowers in the medallions, which were honestly tacky.  She also had a badly broken lid that needed a real prince of a man to repair it.
 Luckily for me there just happens to be a real prince of a man that lives at my house, and he did some sturdy repairs.  Of course he did use his signature Phillips head screws, but since the chest is not an antique, I was good with that.  A little paint and a great crown found on Graphics Fairy, which was applied with the reverse Modpodge method, and the sweet little royal box is ready to stow anything.
Not a bad transformation for a $3.00 dated charmer, eh?

8 comments:

  1. Love your chest, and wondering about the beauty in the background......did you do that too? Wow, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did not, but it is my absolute favorite piece of furniture and has its own story which I will tell one day. Glad you noticed it.

      Delete
  2. $3!!! Wow. Love it. I agree with Earth Angel, the other piece is incredible. Can't wait to learn more about it~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job P and that's what I was going to say...I've always loved that gorgeous cherub piece in your living room! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your interest in the angel desk ... I just finished a post about its history and significance in my life. There is even drama, about how it was ALMOST STRIPPED !! Tragedy obviously averted. Come look at the post Friday morning May 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, that whole picture is full of wonderful things. the dolls, the angel cabinet, the little chest. Did I mention the dolls? How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love updating second hand items from the thriftstore! This one turned out a charmer!

    There is a link party going on in my blog today. I would LOVE for you to share this redo :)
    http://myricandreasen.blogspot.com/2012/05/link-party-and-give-away.html

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  7. You deserve much praise for seeing the swan hiding in the broken, ugly duckling chest you got for $3.00. What an eye!

    ReplyDelete