Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tumbler Caddy and Mason Jars Storage.

Today's makeover is sort of a pet project of mine.  I am a long time antique dealer, and have always been fascinated with the cool old carriers used in the 50's for colorful tumbler sets.  Of course most of those tumblers, have since tumbled, leaving all kinds of tumbler caddies orphaned in their wake.


 Here are a couple of different styles, though the green one is likely later, and I am not honestly sure what it originally held.  I buy these when I see them at garage sales and second hand stores because ...
they make it so handy to carry several items such as jars filled with craft supplies.  The newer caddy was just the right size to fit pint size mason jars.  The aluminum was perfect for tall olive jars.  Unfortunately it takes us a while to go through a jar of green olives ... thus there is going to be some wait time for that project.

However the green one is ready to go.  To make the carrier and jars rings match I simply spray painted them all red.
 Next I spent some time on Graphics Fairy looking for a set of four pictures that went together and had bright colors.  The circus themed illustrations won.
After getting the art to the right size, I printed them off, and used a jar lid to trace the size circle I needed, keeping in mind that the rings would cover about a quarter of an inch around the edges.  I then decoupaged them to the lids.  For this project I used undiluted Tacky Glue on a wet paintbrush.  I have also used white school glue, such as Elmers, or the real deal, Modpodge for projects like this.

Next it was time to fill the jars with fun crafting goodies.  I like that the jars keep these colorful goodies on display, as they are so cheerful!

Thanks for coming along.  I have several more sets to do, and I am looking forward to a craft room that has organized and visible elements.  This is definitely a start.

17 comments:

  1. I've never seen these caddies anywhere. Where do you locate them?
    Cashel1916@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These two are a bit different, as most of them have two rows of 4 holders with a handle between. Often made out of wire. When shopping second hand stores they are usually found with wire items and baskets. Maybe now that you know they exist you will start noticing them Good luck.

      Delete
  2. I'm off to shove olives in my face now!!!!!! I may get sick, but honestly, if mine turn out half as good as this project; it will be worth the green hue I sport for a bit. ;)
    Fantastic project and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, I read it out loud to my dh and we both laughed heartily!!

      Delete
  3. Hey, I'll eat the olives! I buy olives specially for those tall, narrow jars. And the martini...

    Anyway, that is one of the nicest uses I've seen of Karen's circus images. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a darling project! Thanks for the good idea. I'll BOLO for these in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is only a guess, but I'm basing it onthe bottom of the round carrier and the number of positions in the carrier. I think it is a basket for an old pressure canner. You would place the jars in the holes and use the handle to lift it into and out of the canner.
    Love the carriers and the use of Karen's images for decorating the jar lids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea and the images you used are lovely! Thanks for linking up at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a fantastice job. What a transformation....you Rock:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is fantastic
    I will definitely look out for caddies from now on

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so sweet...and I agree, I've never seen the caddies before either! Now I'll have to be on the lookout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love these jars. They must make you smile every time you reach for supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love these, I have a friend that adores vintage Circus, hmmm...a birthday present for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea! You did a beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just the cutest project I've seen in some time. I love the red and the circus theme. It's a useful and pretty to organize your goodies. Thank you for sharing this. :) Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete