Friday, July 27, 2012

Building a Garden House (Some More)

And now its time for another chapter in the building of our garden house.  My dh and I spent the day on Tuesday spraying on the cream colored base coat, on the inside and on the outside, on the rafters and on the floor, even on the fireplace mantel.


Then on Wednesday night, while I was at a service activity and then attending a book club meeting, he surprised me by reattaching the four windows into their casings, putting the door back on and adding the gingerbread piece to the front eve!!  I was ecstatic!  To the right you can see the floor of the loft, and below you can see the ladder that leads to the loft, in its storage position, resting just above and to the left of the door. Note the hinges to the left that will allow it to swing down.


This is the loft.  The green X marks the center of the window that we have masked off for the spray painting.  It will come off soon, and you will be able to see the leaded glass pattern.    Below is the inside view of the door.  The door is only 5 and a half feet high, so most men will have to stoop to enter.  Almost all of those who have seen it tell me that they think it looks like a hobbit door, and thus a hobbit house ...

Of course we know that hobbits live in hills, sort of undergroundish, but in playing with names for my garden house I am considering Hobbitat ... It definitely fits the book connection I am looking for for my literary garden, right? But then maybe I want something more romantic.  Do you have any other bookish ideas?  I would love to hear your input.  Thanks for coming along and sharing the fun!

13 comments:

  1. Just MAH VUL OUS!!! And *love* Hobitat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be so jealous if I wasn't so happy for you. Look forward to seeing more.

    x
    Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Green Gables! Tho' I'm a Hobbit fan. =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I could move right into that sweet little garden cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why Pollyanna, it looks like it could belong to Sunnybrook Farm! Love what you're doing, love the gingerbread, love the color. So fun! Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty garden house. Wish I could have that in my back yard :) Visiting from TT&J.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it. Im sooooo jealous.
    Following you from PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com. Please take a minute ot come over and visit me. THANKS. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Such a beautiful and special place. I'm so looking forward to seeing what else you do with it. Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg what a beautiful space!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made several nice points there. I did a search on the matter and found most people will go along with with your blog. Xtrasize I believe one of your commercials triggered my browser to resize, you might want to put that on your blacklist.http://realcemasculinobr.com/xtrasize/



    ReplyDelete