Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cake Takers that Take The Cake!!


Yep, its Trash to Treasure Tuesday, where I share something old that was made new and fun again.

I redid a booth at the antique mall and this set of old tin 50's cake takers, did not make the cut.  They were a bit too shabby to be attractive, and I debated sending them to the second hand store...


So glad I didn't.  They each got several coats of white enameled paint.  One got this fun decoupage treatment, with two  40's beauties, and a caption that says "Betsy's Pecan Creme Cake?" 


With the other I did the reverse Modpodge method I showed you yesterday on the front, and a simple decoupage method on the top, combined with stamping.
What a lot of fun it was to take the unmemorable and make it POP!!  These two cuties will be for sale at the next flea.o.logy on July 14th!!  They would be great to tote cupcakes to any event, don't you think?

I would like to offer my sincere thanks to Graphics Fairy for the super art work that made this project possible!

13 comments:

  1. I actually liked the shabby condition of the cake carriers...especially the one with the red handle. But that saying, you did a fantastic job with the redesign...love the Marie design! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The real problem is that they had both been for sale for a couple of years with not takers ... not good. I did leave another one there for sale that was in really good shape.

      Delete
  2. Great make-overs! Loving that "Let them eat cake"! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! What an awesome idea! I've seen these so many times at the thrift store and would pass because they looked so bad. Now I'll be looking for one. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas. I found you via Open House party and now a new follower. I'd love if you'd link it to Frugal Treasures Tuesday going on through Sunday. Hope your weekend goes well.
    Barbe

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection of 'cake takers'...love them. Such a unique group of treasures. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well on my blog at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com
    Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. You are a clever girl.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice blog...this blog is about the Cake Takers that Take The Cake!!
    icaption that

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that Marie Antoinette one!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just wonderful. Love it and thank you for sharing. What a talent you are. Love your blog too.
    Happy Creating, Celestina Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a neat piece. I like these so much better than the plastic ones you find today. Thanks so much for sharing your project at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these! NOW I am definitely on a treasure hunt for cake takers... Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your tips!
    Have a wonderful week,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete