Friday, July 13, 2012

Shoe Organizer to File Drawers!

Here is my Friday Favorites project, and I have been working on it all week.  I am doubly indebted to Karen at the Graphics Fairy this week, for the idea, as well as for the Hand Writing ephemera that I used for the front of the drawers in my "Shoe Organizer to File Drawers Project."  She had a guest post on her DIY blog from Shabby Creek Cottage, which was amazing.  I ran with the idea, tweaking it a bit for my use. So I would like to thank both of these amazingly talented women!!


I had this 15 section shoe sorter that I had filled with bread pans from the dollar store, but knew it was wasting a lot of space.  I decided to go ahead and make my own boxes, after all I did it many times when I was shipping off ebay items, and know how.  You can see the tools above that I needed to make these boxes based on the inside measurements of one of the cubbies.



After making the boxes I decoupaged the hand written poem I had gotten off of Graphics Fairy to  cover the front, then I attached  the Tim Holtz label handles I had gotten at Hobby Lobby and which I had spray painted black, so they would all match. (They come in a set of 6 with three different finishes.)  This was a time consuming project, but definitely worth it for me.  I plan to use the same method, with some larger handles to organize some other cubbies I am using, also in my craft room.

Thanks for coming along and watching my craft room evolve.  Its been a lot of work, but a lot of fun too.  I have already been rewarded with being able to do projects that I have had in mind for months, because now I know where the supplies I need are located.  Its an empowering feeling!!

16 comments:

  1. Oh now that is just genius! You are a clever one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea here. I'm always doing home-cheapo stuff like this. The facade is incredible. I'd love to really do something like this with ALL my shoes actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are a patient crafter, but it was well worth the effort. Your custom boxes are a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good grief woman...you make me so tired! LOL! Love you, good one P! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind words. Not sure about being patient, but this was a look I REALLY wanted ... and a few boxes a day ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Wow! What a great idea! I'd never have guessed those were shoeboxes...so clever! Would you consider sharing here?
    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/07/shine-on-fridays-36-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and Done ... I love your Shine on Friday Party, and am a regular contributer!! Thanks so much for hosting, you are the BEST!!

      Delete
  8. Love it! I'm about to do a table with the same kind of writing - thanks for the inspiration.
    Have a lovely weekend
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love it. Now I'm on the lookout for a shoe organizier! I'm hosting a linky party "One Creative Weekend" at OneCreativeMommy.com. I'd love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you'd like to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this idea! The script really makes it look so unique! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I don't know how you find all of these treasures over at Graphics Fairy but I'm going to have to do some more looking around there. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm actually looking some shoes organizer =D what's a lovely idea great job

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just hopped over from the Graphics Fairy...congrats on your feature this week! It looks amazing!!! ~ Judy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really amazing! You did a great job with the file drawers! You now have a lot of space to keep your things. I love that you recycled the boxes and designed it with the handwritten poem! I think it looks vintage and elegant.

    Ruby Badcoe

    ReplyDelete